Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Queen Doesn't Cook #7

Last night I had a craving for a traditional dutch treat. I was too lazy to make it, so I made it today instead. Mark will be sad, because he is trying so hard to eat CORE. Since we got back from Hawaii I have been anti-CORE and have been eating whatever I want. Therefore, dutch cake is now cooling on my counter.

Rotti Kukus
5 eggs
2 c suger
2 t vanilla
2 c flour

1. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla.
2. Add flour to mixture.
3. Line vegetable steamer (I use the one for my big spaghetti pot) with one layer of paper towels. (I usually have to layer 2, because my paper towels are not big enough.)
4. Boil water. (Don't fill it so high that it will touch the steamer.)
5. Pour batter into steamer, cover, and steam for 40 minutes.
6. "Pop" cake out of steamer, remove paper towels and let cool on a rack.
7. Cover tightly to store. (A large Ziplock bag works great.)


Papa says if your cake "cracks" at the top then you did everything perfectly. If not, then don't worry - it will still taste good. Enjoy warm with butter.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Okay, I've never had Dutch cake, but it looks GOOD. Eat an extra handful for me!